Find the Safest Broadband for your Family. : ThyBlackMan

Friday, November 24, 2017


Find the Safest Broadband for your Family.

March 2, 2017 by  
Filed under Opinion, Tech/Internet, Weekly Columns

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
1

(ThyBlackMan.comWhen choosing a broadband package, there are aspects to consider, especially now that there is no one-size-fits-all option. Besides the cost and the speed, you need to give good thought to the safety, the contract length, and the download allowances. Although broadband is excellent at managing your network, it may not always be relied upon for keeping it secure. While the latest broadband has registered huge leaps towards increasing Wi-Fi, poor support from manufacturers may leave you riddled with backdoors. For this, it becomes easy for a hacker to get through your security settings and access private information. Fortunately, there are several measures you can take when choosing your broadband.

Type of Broadband Package Needed

If you need a broadband for the first time, you may be interested in a package that it affordable, one that has good customer support, and one that is easy to set up. The first consideration in such a case is to figure out if you need the package to download movies and songs or simply use it for online gaming. For heavy users, higher data limits and faster speeds may be necessary.

Understand that different packages vary, meaning that if for instance you need one for your home, look specifically for those tailored for family use. With many devices such as tablets, laptops, set-top boxes, TVs and gaming consoles all connected to the internet, families tend to be very heavy users. Choosing a home package will allow you to get parental controls for children’s safety online among other good deals.

Be a Tough Target

If you thought there was nothing to worry about when it comes to the security of your family computer, you could be in for a big surprise. Today, hackers find family computers very appealing, meaning you may be more susceptible to hacker attacks as a result of an always available internet connection. Hackers can quickly steal your identity or even your money as home broadband is easier to access than a heavily fortified corporate network. Some may be out to steal your personal data, while others may solely be interested in attacking other computers behind your connection without your knowledge.

Choosing a safe broadband can keep out 99 percent of hackers from trying to crack your network and the other 1 percent from wasting their time trying to hack a tough target. To stay safe, it helps to pay extra money on a high-end broadband with security features.

In fact, internet security should be a priority for you. There are many viruses that can potentially infect your home computer from factors such as downloading files or visiting disreputable sites. Getting a wireless router will ensure you get security suites in your package.

Standard or Superfast Speeds?

Many broadband providers are offering two options, including standard ADSL line and super-fast fibre optic broadband. Fast speeds give access to quick download, making it easy for multiple users to share the connection without interruption. Understand that the cabling used can substantially affect the speed received; keeping in mind that you may not be guaranteed the touted speeds presented by the provider. The best way to boost the speeds of your network is to wire stationary devices such as desktop computers and the TV to the router through an Ethernet cable. Although Wifi is excellent for mobile devices, latency issues can be very frustrating when streaming games, videos, or transferring files. Segregating guest traffic from the internal one can increase speed on a shared network.

The data limit is the other factor to look into. There are many packages out there offering unlimited GB monthly, and some fall around 25GB. Many times, the extra data used is chargeable with the rates varying between ISPs. Limits in mobile broadband are a little lower and could be capped at 1GB and 32GB.

If you are considering a home broadband, the chances are that you are more focused on performance. However, security should be an issue of concern. Remember that the common method that hackers use is to give you a false login alert, fooling you into entering your username and password while they send the details to someone who can interpret the data without detection. Whenever there are such alerts, it is advisable to communicate with your provider to investigate your connection.

Staff Writer; Brad Moore


Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!