(ThyBlackMan.com) In my mid-teens, I fell in love with Dragon Ball when I started watching Dragon Ball Z right before Future Trunks was scheduled to debut and this was at a time when Toonami was at it’s peak back then.
Fast forward to 2017 and Dragon Ball Super and it’s had its highs and lows, but it has remained pretty popular in Japan despite its fair share of asspulls and retcons.
I don’t hate Dragon Ball Super, but as a long time fan of Dragon Ball, I am actually offering an honest critique of the anime.
Here are the top 5 things that I don’t like about Dragon Ball Super:
1. The Mistreatment Of Vegeta – The Dragon Ball Super anime has greatly shitted on a lot of characters, including the popular ones like Gohan, Piccolo.
But Vegeta has greatly been shitted on more than any other character to me in the Dragon Ball Super anime because he’s got beat up by Beerus, killed by Frieza again, beat up by Hit, beat up by Goku Black, and when Goku has gotten a new powerup whether it be Super Saiyan God or Ultra Instinct or something better comes
2. Poor Utilization Of Characters In The Tournament Of Power – Another thing that I don’t like about the Dragon Ball Super anime that a lot of people can agree with me on is that many characters in the current arc called Tournament Of Power have been greatly underutilized because we never got to see their full potential and what they bring to the table in The Tournament Of Power and this is also a result of shitty, inconsistent writing from the writers.
3. One Too Many Asspulls And Retcons – One of the things that has legitimately pissed off a lot of longtime Dragon Ball fans like myself is that there’s one too many asspulls and retcons in the Dragon Ball Super anime.
Here are some examples of asspulls and retcons from the Dragon Ball Super anime.
“The Concept Of The Super Saiyan Transformation – One of the biggest reasons why a lot of people hate Dragon Ball Super is the vicious retconning of the concept of the super saiyan transformation and it’s among the reason why a lot of the fandom despise Caulifla and Kale.”
“When Cabba teaches them how to go Super Saiyan, Caulifla goes Super Saiyan and then Kale goes into her berserk form when Cabba got too close to Caulifla, and while Kale was about to blast Cabba away, Caulifla out of nowhere goes Super Saiyan 2 within the same episode and seeing these two young female saiyans obtain the Super Saiyan forms so easily definitely angered a lot of the fandom including myself who felt that the concept of the super saiyan transformation was not only badly retconned, but heavily asspulled in that episode which is one of the main reasons why a lot of the fandom despise Caulifla and Kale.”
“Vegito – In episode 66 of Dragon Ball Super near the climax of “The Future Trunks/Goku Black Arc” I was ecstatic when I saw my favorite Dragon Ball fusion in Vegito make his drastic return, but back in DBZ, the potara earring fusion was stated by the elder kai to be permanent, but here’s what pissed me off greatly about that particular episode is when the writers put in a very bad retcon by stating that two non-kais that are fused with the potara earrings can now last for only an hour and not only did this recon piss me off, but also we see Vegito in Super Saiyan Blue form just literally wiping the floor with Merged Zamasu for at least 5 minutes and defuses and this greatly pissed me off as well.”
In “The Future Trunks/Goku Black Arc”, there were several asspulls that I personally disagreed with.
Future Trunks using The Spirit Bomb to slice Merged Zamasu in half.
Future Trunks using The Mafuuba Jar to attempt to seal away Zamasu.
Future Trunks miraculously reviving his broken sword with energy.
Goku Black tanking Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta.
4. Very Inconsistent Writing – Another one of the things that I personally don’t like about the Dragon Ball Super that a lot of longtime Dragon Ball fans can also agree with me on is that for the most part, the writing as been very inconsistent to the point of seeing many things in the anime that had absolutely no explanation like Future Trunks reviving his sword or Future Trunks transforming to Super Saiyan Rage without any sort of explanation as to what the form really is.
5. Way Too Much Goku – Much like in DBZ, one of the biggest things that I previously don’t like about the Dragon Ball Super anime is that there’s way too much Goku on-screen and the reason why I have a problem with this over-glorification of Goku in the Dragon Ball Super anime because it greatly pushes other characters like Vegeta to the side in favor of Goku and that greatly pisses me off as a longtime fan of Dragon Ball. I understand Dragon Ball is about Goku, but damn let other characters like Vegeta get more screen time.
The Conclusion – If Dragon Ball Super wants to reach the level of popularity Dragon Ball Z was during its peak in the 1990s, it needs to get rid of the shitty writers and animators and bring in better writers and animators.
Staff Writer; Kwame Shakir (aka Joe D.)